CUMMINGS SAW MILL
was originally located on the north west side of Gull Lake.
With the demand for lumber increasing for new homes and businesses in the Gull Lake area Mr. Thomas Cummings, originally from Michigan, established the Cummings Saw Mill in 1898. He also built a large boat, 84' long and 19' wide, called The Kangaroo, that was used to tow logs and deliver lumber and was built under the supervision of Captain Snowden. It was also used as a pleaure craft until 1915 for excursions and dances with a dance floor on the second deck large enough to hold 3 sets of square dancers. By 1906 the timber had been cleared from the Gull Lake area and the Mill and Kangaroo were no longer needed. The Mill was moved to west of Leedale and was operated throughout the 1900's. In 1990 it was purchased by Ken Smithson who donated it to the Park and is now used during Forest & Farm days for lumbering demonstrations.